Recanati

Recanati is located in the province of Macerata, in the heart of the Marche region, in central Italy. From this location, it is easy to reach both the north and the south of Italy.  Recanati is about 12 km from the Adriatic Sea and about 85 km from the Sibillini Mountains. Not far from Recanati there are important places like Loreto, one of the most famous Catholic shrines in the world, Macerata, known for its “Sferisterio” – an arena where renowned opera festivals and productions take place every summer - the Conero mountain and the charming Adriatic coast.

Recanati’s history


Development and civilization started in the territory of Recanati thanks to the water of two rivers Musone and Potenza and their numerous streams. In pre-Roman times, when the Piceno populations settled in, they found ancient forms of earlier settlements.

The contemporary town, despite a legend that dates the city back to a Roman colony ("Recina sum, peperit Roman colony" was written in ‘500 under the coat of arms of the city), was founded in the late twelfth century when the lords of three hills decided to join forces. The three hills (Monte Volpino, Monte San Vito and Monte Morello), retain their ancient names and construction features. In Monte Volpino there is still a house next to an arch that dates back to the most ancient times of the town.
At the beginning of the struggle for investitures, Recanati sustained Frederick II, and in exchange obtained a license to build a port between Aspio and Potenza rivers as well as the exemption of import duties. Its alliance with the Ghibellines can also be seen in the swallow tailed crenellation of the civic tower.


The Golden Bull of the Emperor is preserved in the Villa Colloredo Mels Museum and is one of the most interesting evidence of Svevi settlements in Italy.


Subsequently, Recanati sided with the bishops and the Pope, and obtained the right to become a city and to mint its own coin.
Famous for its statutes, for its fair and its trades led in part by the Jews, Recanati generously welcomed Albanian emigrants and gave them land to cultivate. Its fame as Justissima Civitas was due to the expertise of its judges, whose competence was also highly demanded by larger municipalities.


Built on the crest of a hill, Recanati was protected by a strong walls reinforced ​by Francesco Sforza with narrow gates closed by big wooden doors. Porta San Domenico, Porta Cerasa, Porta San Filippo, are the most characteristic, and allowed access to the city center whose heart was the Town Hall and the nearby church of San Domenico.

In 1798 it was occupied by Napoleon and in 1808 annexed to the Kingdom of Italy.
Recanati returned to be part of the Pontifical States after the Congress of Vienna; in 1860 it was conquered by the Piedmontese army who joined up to Garibaldi's troops from the South and became part of the new Kingdom of Italy.

 

The territory


Surface: 102,7 square kilometers
Population: about 21,000 inhabitants
 

Recanati extends along the ridge of a long and winding hill 296 meters above sea level, between the valleys of rivers Potenza and Musone.
The Adriatic Sea, is about ten miles away from the town.
Like other cities in the Marche region, Recanati is the typical "balcony city": from there one can enjoy a wonderful far-reaching view of cities and villages scattered in large numbers in the wide stretch underneath it, between valleys and hills.

Home to many famous men including poet Giacomo Leopardi and tenor Beniamino Gigli, Recanati preserves important monuments, palaces, churches, art galleries, museums and libraries.



Map

FAQ

Request of information

Registration Form

Login Form